We were approached by Chambers who wished to address and review existing procedures and systems to ensure the service provision was consistent across the clerking and administration team. This included every staff member should be trained and aware of the policies and procedures to offer a high level of service.
The Chambers aspiration was to employ a Business Operations Manager (Chambers Administrator) and GRL Legal was appointed to provide an interim solution to provide a safe pair of hands to allow Chambers to identify, evaluate and where necessary streamline operations.
An independent view
Being an independent consultant and not part of Chambers meant GRL were detached from Chambers company politics and culture and able to provide an unbiased view of current operations focused on the task in hand. GRL was able to contribute honestly without constituting a threat to the incumbent management team.
To support Chambers, GRL undertook the following tasks:
- We carried out detailed research as to understand the current situation, how the situation came about and the varying requirements of stakeholders. During this phase, GRL was able to identify different issues and problems that were not initially highlighted by Chambers.
- GRL reviewed, amended and drafted Chambers policies and procedures which were incorporated in a new Office Manual including Employment handbook.
- We spoke to all staff to ascertain their understanding of their specific roles and how their function aids the efficient running of Chambers. We were also able to identify suitable training requirements and any areas of concerns staff had.
- We spoke to a select group of members to discuss members’ concerns requirements and vision.
- We also liaised with Head of Chambers/Deputy Head of Chambers and provided feedback and raised the question relating to areas identified during the process.
GRL was able to successfully review existing policies, made recommendations and assisted in the appointment of a highly experienced Chambers Administrator to assist the management team in achieving their aspirations.